This year’s VE Day commemorates 75 years since the European battles of World War II finally came to an end.
This milestone 75th anniversary will continue to be a huge celebration for the world, despite the COVID-19 crisis we currently find ourselves in. Virtual parties, toasts, singing and remembrances will all adjust to lockdown conditions and as always our incredible 2020 Entertainments Team have put together a few little treats for you to mark the day!
VE Day, or Victory in Europe Day, officially celebrates the formal acceptance by the Allies of World War II of Nazi Germany’s unconditional surrender of its armed forced on Tuesday 8 May in 1945. Whilst the initial act of surrender was first signed at 02:41 on 7 May, the final document was signed on 8 May in Berlin with the announcement made at 3pm.
Celebrations erupted throughout the world with over one million people in Great Britain taking to the streets and huge crowds gathering in Trafalgar Square and up The Mall to Buckingham Palace. King George VI, Queen Elizabeth and Winston Churchill welcomed the masses from the balcony of the palace whilst Princess Elizabeth and Margaret were secretly allowed to mix with the people below.
Whilst we find ourselves in challenging times, in true wartime spirit we are not letting the current lockdown impact on our celebrations. Our fabulous Entertainments team have been working hard behind the scenes to put together an incredible VE Day 75th Anniversary show for you that you will find in our guide below!
- 11.00am – The Royal British Legion has invited us all to join a two-minute silence to remember those who gave for us during the conflict.
- 2.55pm – If you are a bugler, trumpeter or cornet player, you can join the thousands who will be playing the Last Post.
- 3.00pm – The Nation’s Toast to the Heroes of WW2 where we will all be standing up and raising a glass (or cuppa) with the following toast .. “To those who gave so much, we thank you.”The toast will be led by Dame Joan Collins and will allow us this once in a lifetime opportunity to pay tribute to the many millions of people who gave so much to give us the freedom we all enjoy this day.
- 3.15pm – Enjoy your own afternoon tea party at home rather than street parties, with homemade bunting, music, food and drinks from the 1940’s.
- 6.55pm – Listen to a Cry for Peace from the nations Town Criers
- 7.00pm – Sit down around the tv with the family and watch Mark Price and his team pay tribute to all service people with a collection of old and new songs to celebrate and remember those who gave for us. Find the teams tribute here on Mark’s YouTube channel.
- 9.00pm – An address from the Queen followed by a national sing-along to We’ll Meet Again with Dame Vera Lynn.
We would love to share how you are all spending the day so please feel free to post your VE Day celebration pictures here on our Facebook page! We hope you enjoy the day and we are so very much looking forward to Welcoming you back onto the park as soon as it is safe to do so.
#Staysafe everyone. #InThisTogether